City Development include a multitude of City Services that help to provide oversight of community planning and development.  Gothenburg has worked hard on the promotion and development of a community that promotes safety and quality of life.  City Development includes everyday issues such as building permits, etc. – as well as long-term issues such as a Comprehensive Plan or a Community Redevelopment Authority Project.


Permits may be applied for at the City Office located at 409 9th Street.  Some permits are also available on-line by going to the Document Center.

Following are some of the permits required by the City:

  • Building – Residential and Commercial
  • Demolition
  • Mobile Homes
  • Swimming Pool
  • Sign
  • Fence
  • Underground Sprinklers
  • Building Moving
  • Propane Tanks over 100 gallon
  • Concrete
Building Inspector

The Building Inspector is Doug Swanson.

The Building Inspector’s office is located at City Hall.  Office hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM.

Mr. Swanson may also be contacted by phone at 1-308-325-3309 Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Planning and Zoning

The Planning and Zoning Commission meets every 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Gothenburg Council Chambers located at 409 9th Street.

Members of the Commission are listed on the Boards and Committees page.

Planning for the Future

Following are some of the planning documents the City has developed in looking at future growth or challenges:

  • 2007 Comprehensive Plan
  • Downtown Revitalization Plan
  • 2010 Transportation Plan
Community Redevelopment Authority

The Community Redevelopment Authority is comprised of five members who are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council.  The CRA has been very active over the years using all economic development tools available to support community growth and community economic vitality.  Members of the CRA are listed on the Boards and Committees page.

Maps, Etc.

There are maps and other information located in the Documents Center.  These include the Zoning Map, One-mile Jurisdiction Map, and many other documents.